Great Hearts Academies, one of the top Public Charter Schools in the nation, is coming to San Antonio in the fall of 2014. Although open registration has closed, they are still accepting student registrations for Kindergarten through 9th grade for the 2014-15 school year on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications received will be placed on the wait list behind processed open enrollment applications.
Great Hearts Academies seeks to graduate “Great Hearted” young men and women through a comprehensive prep school approach (including competitive athletics and non-athletic extracurriculars) and an academically rigorous program that focuses on a classical, liberal arts education. Here are some quick facts about Great Hearts:
- 95% of Great Hearts graduates have been accepted to 4-year universities.
- Every child learns Latin, studies math through calculus, takes honors laboratory science, plays competitive chess, sings in the choir, acts in four plays by the time he or she graduates, and much more.
- Great Hearts graduates attend the most highly selective colleges in the nation, with National Merit and selective college placement rates that rival the best private schools.
To learn more about Great Hearts Academies, watch the videos below or use our form to request additional details about upcoming information sessions and the enrollment process.
About Great Hearts Academies
Great Hearts is a Public Charter School, meaning it is:
- Publicly funded and tuition-free;
- Not affiliated with any religion;
- Required by law to serve all students and accommodate special needs; and
- Is non-selective, meaning if more students sign up than can be accommodated, a random public lottery is held to determine who is accepted.
About Great Hearts San Antonio
- The target location for the first Great Hearts campus is north central San Antonio.
- Great Hearts will cover grades K-12.
- Great Hearts anticipates opening to grades K-8 initially, and will grow one grade level annually until the campus serves grades K-12.
- Visit our website for more details: GreatHeartsTX.org
Additional Details About Great Hearts San Antonio
Great Hearts’ program is a classical, liberal arts curriculum with an emphasis on Socratic discussion of the Great Books of the Western Canon. Students read nearly 100 unabridged great works of the western world including A Christmas Carol, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Aesop’s Fables, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Don Quixote, Lincoln’s 2nd Inaugural Address, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Aeneid, Federalist Papers, The Brothers Karamazov, Brown vs. Board of Education, The Call of the Wild, The Canterbury Tales, The Republic, and many more.
Every child learns Latin, studies math through calculus, takes honors laboratory science, plays competitive chess, sings in the choir, studies immersion-based modern language, studies classical economics, learns to diagram sentences, writes and defends a twenty page senior thesis, and acts in four plays by the time he or she graduates.
Since Great Hearts’ inception, its example has caused the creation of multiple new district schools and programs that have attempted to replicate Great Hearts’ model; and since its San Antonio parent information night, one of our best private schools, St. Paul’s Montessori, has adopted Great Hearts’ reading list.
Great Hearts was founded in Phoenix in 2004 and has grown to serve 6,300 students in fifteen schools. It serves students in K-12th grade. In the George W. Bush Institute’s recent rankings of the 14,000 public school districts in the United States by internationally normed math and reading scores, Great Hearts Academies ranked in the top 20 schools in the nation. The only Texas district to make the top 60 in both subjects was Highland Park ISD in Dallas.